> [WAJ] In the scenarios that you mentioned, BGP nexthop reachability is
> derived from the directed interface, there is no summary action done by the
> router. Is that true?

Not necessarily - TORs do not always do eBGP to compute and set next hop
self. There can be IBGP session there and therefor next hop is not changed
all the way to the remote compute. But the point was that today BGP is
involved already in reachability and service distribution.

And while current IGP proposals can propagate this too the point is about
scalability when it comes to signalling of such massive failures in the
IGP. The amount of IGP traffic and processing in those moments may be
significant.

And yes I agree this is not really a "hole punching" ... that was just a
description shortcut I used.

Thx,
R.