Hi Aijun,

At the risk of Tony confusion…

>> Agreeing with T. Li here (i.e. BFD next-hops) and let me add that AFAIS the
>> confusion here is that a presence of a /32 route is used as SSAP liveliness
>> AFAIS and that's simply not what IGPs are here for if you consider their
>> main job to be fastest possible convergence in network _reachability_ only
>> and not signalling of service failures.
>
> [WAJ] The problem is arose from the summary action of IGP, why let other
> protocols solve it?

There is no ‘problem’ with the IGP. You seem to want liveness from the IGP.
That’s not a property that it was meant to provide.

We want scalability. That implies abstraction and that means that you can’t get
a full link state database everywhere.

If you’re willing to forgo scalability, then do so.  Don’t use areas. Just have
a flat routing domain.

Hole punching is going to put you in exactly the same place, sooner or later.
You’re sacrificing scalability and adding another mechanism to do so.  Why
bother?

>> Alternately resolving BGP over BGP as Robert suggests (if I read that
>> correctly) and use RR to scale out the SSAP nhop availability is possible I
>> think architecturally without garbage-canning IGPs as "network-wide fast
>> broadcast mechanism" ... I doubt it will do "couple millisecs" convergence
>> ;-) but can be simpler hardware wise than trying to scale up BFD to large
>> number of very fast sessions.
>

> [WAJ] The operator doesn’t also want the network is filled with various queer
> designs or solutions.

Then why are you proposing one? [BTW, I realize that you intended no offense,
that’s probably NOT the best choice of words.]

There’s a reason that we’ve never gone down the path of hole punching before.
And yes, it’s been discussed before, decades ago.

Tony