Hi Tony,

I have been thinking about your email a bit more. Actually the destructive
issue you have described can happen not only in the case of partitioned L1
areas.

*Deployment scenario: *

It is quite often the case that ABRs connectivity intra-area are very
different to their inter-as connections. That usually means that different
line cards are used to connect to other routers in the local area then
those in the core area.

So when anything happens to the line card which connects L1 (for example it
goes down, there is massive congestion, protocol queue is full etc ...)
when previously received LSPs expire such ABR may trigger PULSE of all PE
routers domain wide. And all the fuses discussed to prevent massive
flooding will not kick in as there may be just say 10 PEs in the area - all
working just fine.

The other ABRs will happily continue to inject summaries but service stops
for configured PULSE timeout (as discussed 200 sec). Note that it is full
service stop not switching to a backup path as all PEs in the area PULSED
domain wide. Not good.

I have not seen any discussion about such a failure case so far. And only
your mail triggered it !

Many thx,
R.