Hi Robert

The goal of the draft is providing egress protection when summarization is
used similar to RFC 8679 Egress protection framework, but without the
complexities.

An IGP RIB within a domain is made up on connected interfaces and
loopbacks. Of the two types, the critical prefix to be tracked is the /32
or /128 host routes on egress PE which is the BGP next-hop attribute via
next-hop-self rewrite.  So both connected and loopbacks can be placed in
the same range for large aggregation domains, however due to the
criticality of the next hop attribute the loopbacks are placed in a
separate range, and so not summarized and flooded domain wide.

The BGP next hop attribute is an MPLS exact match FEC binding for the LSP.
Flooding of loopbacks workaround  is typically done for MPLS domain due to
issue with RFC 5283 inter area extension feature not being viable solution
for LPM summary matching,  thus all the prefixes still have to be flooded
 in LDP, so no net reduction in host route flooding.

With the PUA/Pulse feature allows the domain wide flooding of the loopback
host routes is now possible as can now we take advantage and of
summarization.

Even independent of MPLS in an IPv4, IPv6 or SRv6 environment the tracking
of BGP next-hop-attribute component prefixes is critically important to
improved convergence and not rely on BGP dead timers to expire.  Even with
BFD, LFA/RLFA/TILFA local protection , PIC and other optimizations we still
need an optimization to track the summary route component prefixes to speed
up convergence providing  egress PE protection.

Kind Regards

Gyan

<http://www.verizon.com/>

*Gyan Mishra*