Les,

BFD does not have a notion to come up in a hidden way, start testing
the link and only after some defined per client protocol or per interface
peer period signal to the client its "UP" state.

BFD holdtime as defined in RFC5880 is to keep BFD sessions and therefore
data probes down (for example to smooth in time control plane churn when
1000s of BFD peers are to all come up in the same time) so it is completely
unrelated to the discussion about BFD clients and link testing before
brining OSPF adj up.

If you want to extend BFD further you are welcome to take it to the BFD WG.
I am cc-ing Greg here as he is one of the best active BFD experts.

But if so this draft should wait till that happens. Alternatively as it has
been suggested we could choose to keep BFD simple and have such timer on
the client side. The behaviour on the client is trivial - Do your client
action (bring IGP adj. up or BGP session up or insert static to the RIB etc
...) if timer X elapsed from BFD session going UP and during that time
there was no transition to DOWN.

Regards,
R.