Speaking as WG chair:

From: Lsr <lsr-boun...@ietf.org> on behalf of Robert Raszuk <rob...@raszuk.net>
Date: Friday, July 8, 2022 at 3:21 PM
To: lsr <lsr@ietf.org>
Cc: IDR List <i...@ietf.org>, Susan Hares <sha...@ndzh.com>
Subject: [Lsr] IGP Monitoring Protocol

Dear LSR WG,

Based on ongoing discussion in respect to the future of BGP-LS I committed
myself to put together an alternate proposal.

The main goal is not to just publish a -00 version of the draft using different
encapsulation. The goal is to make a useful tool which can help to export link
state information from network elements as well as assist in network
observability.

The IGP Monitoring Protocol (IMP) draft has been posted and should be available
at:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-raszuk-lsr-imp/

One of the key points I wanted to accomplish was full backwards compatibility
with TLVs defined for BGP-LS. In parallel other formats (optional) are also
supported.

The PUB-SUB nature or FILTERING capabilities are in the spec however as noted
in the deployment section there is no expectation that this should be supported
directly on routers. Concept of Producer's Proxies has been introduced to
support this added functionality as well as provide fan-out (analogy to BGP
route reflectors).

I encourage everyone interested to take a look and provide comments. At this
point this document is nothing more than my individual submission. Offline I
have had few conversations with both operators and vendors expressing some
level of interest in this work. How we proceed further (if at all :) depends on
WG feedback.

Kind regards,
Robert.

PS, I do believe this work belongs in LSR WG pretty squerly.

Let’s see how many stakeholders actually want to this protocol - then we can
talk about a WG home.  By stakeholders, I mean operators and vendors who are
committed to implementing and deploying it - not simply those who you are able
to enlist as co-authors. Note that our IETF 114 LSR agenda is full (with
multiple agenda items not making the cut).