Chris -

Not trying to convince you of anything - just want to step back and summarize
where we are.

MP-TLV support has been explicitly allowed in multiple cases - and in these
cases no additional signaling has been specified i.e., all TLVs in the "set"
are encoded the same way they would be if the there were only 1 TLV in the set
and there is no signaling of MP-TLV support required in order to send MP-TLVs.

Due to new features/increased scale, we now have a need to send MP-TLVs for
some additional TLVs (notably Prefix Reachability and Neighbor TLVs). The RFCs
defining these TLVs did not explicitly specify the use of MP-TLVs - but they
also did not specify any prohibition against doing so.

Some implementations have chosen to apply the same MP-TLV model used for the
"explicit-MP-TLV allowed" cases to these new cases.

Two possible protocol changes for these new cases have been suggested in this
thread:

1)Require some additional encoding in the MP-TLVs to identify the TLV as a
member of an MP-TLV set

This would mean that the encoding of MP-TLVs would be different depending on
the TLV type.
I see no justification for this.

2)Prohibit the sending of MP-TLVs unless all nodes advertise support

Even though the encoding used by these early implementations is correct, they
would then be penalized and declared illegal because they did not come to the
WG and "ask for permission".
I find this approach at best very petty.

I share the concern about how a network might behave when not all nodes support
MP-TLVs for a given TLV, but this is best handled by having an implementation
knob to disable the sending of MP-TLVs - thus giving the operator control.

   Les