I simply turned your question around and asked: should conforming
implementations be penalized?

I can't imagine why you are explaining IS-IS TLVs to me, and I have never
advocated for nor even mentioned changing the encoding of TLVs so I don't know
what you're talking about with the rest of it. I found this very distracting.

Chris.
[as wg-member]

"Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)" <ginsb...@cisco.com> writes:

Chris -

There are two different topics under discussion - one has to do with TLV
encoding - the other has to do with partial deployment issues. We need to be
careful that we keep the two distinct.

TLVs necessarily have to unambiguously define the object followed by attributes
of that object.
If multiple TLVs are required to advertise all the attributes of an object, the
encoding requirements are the same: unambiguously define the object in each TLV
and then include attributes.
IS-IS advertisements have never had any "ordering' requirements i.e.,
attributes can be advertised in any order within a given TLV and it makes no
difference whether a TLV is advertised in LSP#2 or LSP#200.
This means that when MP is used, there is no notion as to whether a TLV is the
first in a set or the last in a set - they are simply complementary.

When I say that implementations which have added support for MP-TLVs for
neighbor/prefix advertisement have done the "right thing" I am simply saying
they are using base protocol encoding rules as discussed above.

There is another discussion that has to do with partial deployment issues and
legitimate concerns about how a network might behave when not all routers
support MP for a given TLV. But altering TLV encoding to address that issue does
not solve a problem - it simply creates a new one.
Further, introducing a new rule that prohibits advertisement of existing TLVs
unless some yet to be defined feature support advertisement is present
network-wide also does not solve a problem - it introduces a new one.

Whether advertising features supported is useful and how it should be done is a
discussion that should continue - but it MUST NOT alter the format of TLVs or
the rules as to when TLVs can be advertised.

   Les