From: Lsr <lsr-boun...@ietf.org> On Behalf Of Aijun Wang
Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2023 8:37 PM
To: 'Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)' <ginsberg=40cisco....@dmarc.ietf.org>; 'Huzhibo'
<huzhibo=40huawei....@dmarc.ietf.org>; Peter Psenak (ppsenak)
<ppse...@cisco.com>; 'linchangwang' <linchangwang.04...@h3c.com>; 'Acee Lindem'
<acee.i...@gmail.com>; 'lsr' <lsr@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ppsenak-lsr-igp-unreach-prefix-annou...@ietf.org
Subject: [Lsr] 答复: Working Group Adoption of "IGP Unreachable Prefix
Announcement" - draft-ppsenak-lsr-igp-unreach-prefix-announce-04

Hi,Les:

The use of the max-metric is only to the let the legacy routers to ignore the
PUAM message(the LSA that is advertised with the prefix originator set to
NULL), to assure the interoperability with existing routers. It is same for
both solutions.
The main difference for the explicit unreachability indication of the prefix,
as Chang Wang summarized, is that one defined newly the prefix flag, another
utilized the existing prefix originator field.

If the ABR finds the prefix is unreachable, then there will be no router
advertise this prefix within the associated area, it is straightforward to
label the “prefix originator” as NULL to indicate such information, then is it
redundancy to define again the flag?

Besides the above difference, we should consider also other scenarios that
draft-ppsenak lacks but draft-wang has covered, as Zhibo indiciated in
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/lsr/r-qLlA2JW-JOLVf_LBlEXwE01jE/

Best Regards

Aijun Wang
China Telecom

draft-ppsenak-lsr-igp-unreach-prefix-announce-04

Zhibo -

Please see inline.

[LES:] This statement is incorrect.

RFC 5305 states:

<snip>

If a prefix is advertised with a metric larger then MAX_PATH_METRIC

   (0xFE000000, see paragraph 3.0), this prefix MUST NOT be considered

   during the normal SPF computation.  This allows advertisement of a

   prefix for purposes other than building the normal IP routing table.

<end snip>

(Equivalent statement in RFC 5308 for IPv6)

Existing implementations will ignore the advertisement purely on the basis of
the metric value - this does not depend upon understanding the U bit.

But existing implementations will NOT ignore a prefix reachability
advertisement just because it has a source Router ID set to 0 as
draft-wang-lsr-prefix-unreachable-annoucement defines.

It is worth noting that AFTER the publication of
draft-ppsenak-lsr-igp-pfx-reach-loss-00 in March 2022 (subsequently renamed as
draft-ppsenak-lsr-igp-ureach-prefix-announce), the authors of
draft-wang-lsr-prefix-unreachable-annoucement apparently realized they had  an
interoperability problem with existing routers (something many of us had been
highlighting for years) and in V10 (published in Jul 2022) an option was added
to advertise using maximum metric (the solution already proposed by
draft-ppsenak). But because the authors apparently didn’t want to abandon the
use of "Router ID = 0", the new version of the draft proposed a dependency on
how the unreachable prefix should be advertised. If all routers in the network
indicated support for the new extension (indicated by yet another protocol
extension - a new Router Capability sub-TLV for IS-IS) then the use of Router
ID = 0 could be used, but if any router in the network did not advertise the
new capability, then the use of max-metric is required. Which means the
solution requires routers advertising unreachability to potentially regenerate
the advertisement in a different form whenever the state of support by all
routers in the network for the extension changes.

> Both two draft used The 0xFE000000 metric indicates that the prefix is not

> reachable. Doesn't make a difference at this point.

[LES:] The solution defined in draft-ppsenak-lsr-igp-unreach-prefix-announce
does not introduce any interoperability issues with existing routers, does not
require multiple encoding formats, and does not require a router to regenerate
advertisements in a different form based on the state of support by all routers
in the network.

I think this makes a big difference. 😊

   Les