Chris (and everyone) -

A more complete response to your comments regarding "backwards compatibility",
routing loops, etc.

It is absolutely true that until all nodes in the network support advertisement
(meaning at least receive processing) of more than 255 bytes for a given
object, that any attempt to deploy a configuration which requires the
advertisement of more than 255 bytes for that object is likely to result in
some type of failure.

That failure could manifest itself as routing loops or blackholes or in other
ways. This is explicitly stated in
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-pkaneria-lsr-multi-tlv-04.html#name-deployment-considerations
 :

“Sending of MP-TLVs in the presence of nodes which do not correctly process
such advertisements can result in interoperability issues, including incorrect
forwarding of packets.”

No one has ever tried to state otherwise.

But it is also true that encodings other than MP suffer from the same
limitation. The authors of Big-TLV try to claim otherwise, but this does not
stand up to scrutiny – see my replies to Huaimo for more details as to why.

Would it be great if we could find a way to allow “incremental deployment”?
Sure – but it isn’t possible. As Tony Li stated at the last IETF (paraphrasing):

“This isn’t great – but it’s the best we can do.”

As to why this particular problem is not amenable, it is because the content
that is being advertised consists of existing sub-TLVs that all nodes in the
network are required to process for correct operation. There isn’t some
information which is “old” and some information which is “new”. It is all “old”
– there is just more of it.

I honestly thought we had gotten past this point with our discussions (both in
the WG and some post WG 1-1 discussions) at IETF 117. But now you have raised
this point again.

I share your angst, but there is an undeniable deployment need to advertise
more than 255 bytes per object – so we need to move forward.