Linda –

When we have polarized positions (for whatever reasons), coming to consensus is
often difficult. Each side tends to dismiss the arguments of the other –
sometimes regardless of merit.
So, maybe the following won’t help – but I am going to give it a try.

Point #1: There are existing TLVs for which MP behavior was explicitly stated
in existing RFCs and there are already many deployments that conform to those
RFCs (see Introduction of MP draft for a list).
If we choose to use a different encoding to support > 255 bytes for other
codepoints, this both complicates implementations and confuses the definition
of new protocol extensions. When defining a new codepoint should I choose MP or
should I choose a different encoding? And what criteria can be used to make
this choice a sensible one?
And since MP is already REQUIRED for those TLVs where it was explicitly
defined, we will always have to support that – at least for some codepoints.

Point #2: MP for IS-Neighbor/Prefix Reachability TLVs has already been
implemented by multiple vendors, tested in both partial deployment and full
deployment scenarios. We know that it works and we know what the problems are
in partial deployment.
This cannot be said for new alternatives.
With due respect to Huaimo, he tends to characterize the implementation
problems to be solved for Big-TLV as “easy to resolve” but given the absence of
implementation I think this is an overly optimistic and somewhat naïve POV. (No
offense intended)

Point #3: As documented in the IANA section of the MP draft, the problem
extends to sub-TLVs of top level TLVs as well. It is then not as simple as
reserving one encap TLV to handle the top-level TLV case. We also have to have
a solution when a sub-TLV requires more than 255 bytes. MP solves this without
additional changes. Big-TLV has yet to discuss this.

If Big-TLV actually solved the partial deployment case, we would have a
motivation to look at it more seriously. But it does not. It has the same issue
with partial deployment that MP does. So for me, there is no value add to
Big-TLV – and it does require additional implementation work – not all of which
has even been defined yet.
It isn’t better – it is just different – and comes with additional
implementation costs.

   Les