Hi!
> another solution could be to let ns_ifmove.c as it is (so it won't build)
> and only add a check for binaries:
> tst_check_cmds ns_create ns_exec ns_ifmove

We would have to ingore the return value from the ns_ifmove build, which
means custom rule in the Makefile, which is ugly.

> to the netns test code. On the other hand, this will produce unclear
> output from the netns testcases, you will only know that ns_ifmove
> binary is unavailable, but won't know why.
>
> The other way, as you pointed out, would be to check for kernel version
> and propagate TCONF to the netns_helper.sh. The patch which adds what we
> need ('IFLA_NET_NS_PID') to the kernel is:
> http://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/containers/2007-September/007113.html

Kernel version is completly orthogonal problem here.

The compilation fails since the IFLA_NET_NS_PID is not present in
linux/if_link.h. I've just finished a patch that adds autoconf check for
the constant, adds ifdefs into the ns_ifmove and propagates TCONF from
ns_ifmove to the helper. This may still fail if somebody runs the test
on recent enough userspace with older kernel. But I doubt that this will
be the case, at least for any released distribution.

--
Cyril Hrubis
chru...@suse.cz