Hi,

On Wed, 09 Jan 2008, Asmo Koskinen wrote:

> I'm going add new server on my office tomorrow. Old one is 32-bit Ubuntu
> 6.06, new one is 64-bit Edubuntu 7.10. And machine itself is quite
> upgraded - from P4/1G to Duo Core Xeon/4G.
>
> And I hope that it can lives happy with Windows dhcp-server like my old
> server did:

This is very interesting.  If you don't mind I might ask a question or two.

As I understand it, you're relying on the speed of DHCP servers.  So, your
LTSP dhcp server is faster to respond than the windows one, so it always
responds first if it has a static lease defined for a mac address.  By
contrast, the DD-WRT dhcpd is quick and responds first, which is why it
breaks the thin clients.  If the linux dhcp server doesn't have a static
lease defined, it doesn't respond and the windows server eventually gets
used.

Have I misunderstood?  Is there some other reason the windows dhcp

If the above is correct, I imagine placing load on the ltsp server might
slow it down and the windows server might respond more quickly than it
which might break your clients.

Again, if I understand correctly, I guess as long as the dhcp server with
the dynamic IP space is the slowest one and the others only respond to
their own clients, this should probably work.  However, it might be simpler
to not run a dhcp server on your new server at all and just add new
definitions to the existing edubuntu dhcpd with a different next-server and
boot images.

This is probably more of a question than an answer I'm afraid :-)

Gavin