On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 3:47 PM, Oliver Grawert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> hi,
> On Do, 2008-08-21 at 11:19 +0530, CyberOrg wrote:
>> So how are we making contribution to the LTSP?
>>
>> - We are introducing users of one of the top two distributions to this
>> great way of computing: LTSP. We are trying to make use of LTSP
>> popular.
> who then get lost during suport in teh #ltsp channel since nobody there
> knows much about kiwi
>
> really, it is not that hard to make kiwi a backend like all other
> distros do with their build tools (anaconda for redhat, debootstrap and
> a set of metapackages for ubuntu and debian, stage1 and emerge for
> gentoo)
>
> you have the necessary plugins for kiwi in place in the upstream code,
> using teh plugin system to seed kiwi variables with the common system we
> all use (and can help with in support) would be a first step ... its
> great that you use kiwi but i'm 100% sure you can as well use it as a
> backend like all of us do and work with the common plugins so people are
> not lost and have to be sent to #kiwi if the are asking for support.

Yes, to keep it common we have a SUSE plugin already in place, it is
fully functional as it is.

Hopefully someone who is familiar with how KIWI works would always be
around, that is not going to come in  way of helping users as LTSP
still is the same. I always respond to any queries posted on mailing
lists, I am also always idling in #ltsp, refer to IRC logs if someone
has pinged me and respond if they are online.

> contributes to. i know that japerry showed interest to help getting the
> suse side in shape to function in a proper upstream way so lets sit down
> together and develop a plan how to do it so we dont have one distro that
> doesnt fit the scheme and users can get proper support ... its really
> not that hard to just change the order of the scripts to wrap around
> kiwi and use all the distro independent variables and options instead of
> kiwi wrapping around the scripts.

Japerry, gbolte have always been very keen to help, and even made it
to the LTSP hackfest. They too are openSUSE community members and not
developers.

> the BTS hackfest in november should be a very good opportunity to do it,
> how about sending one person there and getting suse in shape ? i'm hapy
> to help with that if needed and i know the other distro devs would too
> for teh ske of having something thats similar over all distros ...

I had requested Guy Lunardi to send someone for the hackfest, which
did not materialise, so also requested Zonker to send someone over,
but it was too late. It is upto the powers that be at Novell/SUSE to
make it possible, again Zonker would be the best person to get it
done.

Please be assured that we are not on the "opposing" sides, we just
want LTSP5 working very well and are deploying tools that are most
familiar and efficient for us without having to code. Wrapping
everything we do with kiwi in LTSP plugin has been done, it would take
a proper developer to do more.

Cheers

-J