On Thu, 17 May 2012 15:19:44 -0600
David Burgess <apt....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anybody looked at this?
>
> http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/10/hp-t410-smart-zero-client-poe/
>
> 13W (includes display) PoE. ARM-based CPU, includes MS's RemoteFX.
> Very tempting for us in an all-RDP environment, but I would be very
> loathe to give up the reliability and central management of our
> existing LTSP network.
>
> We picked up a couple of HP's ARM-based t5325 and found HP's included
> OS lacking, and without any simple way of LTSPifying them, never
> deployed them. I'd be equally reticent of this new t410, despite what
> looks like a good idea on paper.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> db

Hi David,

I was getting all excited about the prospect of LTSPifying the t5325,
then I turned up Vagrant's posts about him having already done the
work.[1] How did you get on with that?

The situation with the t410 seems like it will be similar. The
TI tms320dm8148 SoC that it uses has what looks like very good publicly
available vendor SDK support[2] (including free-as-in-beer available DSP
support, which is a rarity.)

If HP haven't locked the bootloader then it should be possible to
convince a t410 to boot as an LTSP client as well.

This is something I'd actually enjoy trying given the chance (as I'm
sure others would.) I've ported Debian to some other ARM devices but
they're always cheap devices with poor vendor support - both the SoCs
in these HP devices look like they have better support.

Cheers,

Angus

[1]
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=CAKvEOQ%2BO82htxsLdCz9PxQHsa4kGZKzDt7psfCsYesw9q1OrGw40mail.gmail.com&forum_name=ltsp-discuss