On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 6:36 PM, Angus Gratton <g...@projectgus.com> wrote:

> then I turned up Vagrant's posts about him having already done the
> work.[1] How did you get on with that?

Some great work done by Vagrant, but we didn't bother with it. We had
2 test machines and were looking to deploy around 80, but when I saw
the attention that would be required for each individual client it
didn't make sense for us to proceed when an x86 machine with PXE is
just plug and play. We wrote off our two t5325's.

> The situation with the t410 seems like it will be similar. The
> TI tms320dm8148 SoC that it uses has what looks like very good publicly
> available vendor SDK support[2] (including free-as-in-beer available DSP
> support, which is a rarity.)
>
> If HP haven't locked the bootloader then it should be possible to
> convince a t410 to boot as an LTSP client as well.

If these t410's can be converted with minimal fuss then I think they
may be worth working with, particularly where one has a need for
extreme power saving. One of the buildings on our sister campus is
trying to get off the grid, and something like this to replace their
existing thin clients might be the way to go.

db