Am 18.12.2014 18:32, schrieb Vagrant Cascadian:
> On 2014-12-18, Rolf-Werner Eilert wrote:
>> I would like to have an LTSP 5 alongside with an LTSP 4.2 on the same
>> server. Long time ago, I had this running. But I do not remember every
>> detail, and answers in the net are either outdated or too unfocused.
>>
>> As far as I understand, the only glitch is getting dhcp to hand out the
>> data for either of the two LTSP breeds according to the MAC address of
>> the terminals.
>
> Another option would be to use pxelinux configuration files to handle
> the differences, and then symlink the configuration file for each
> client.
>
> So in the top-level tftp dir, you'd have configs like so:
>
> /pxelinux.0
> # symlink to ltsp5 configuration
> /pxelinux.cfg/default -> ltsp5
> /pxelinux.cfg/ltsp5
> /pxelinux.cfg/ltsp42
> # symlink for mac address 11:22:33:44:55:66:77, note the 01 prefix:
> /pxelinux.cfg/01-11-22-33-44-55-66-77 -> ltsp42
> # symlink for mac address 88:99:00:aa:bb:cc, note the 01 prefix:
> /pxelinux.cfg/01-88-99-00-aa-bb-cc -> ltsp5
>
> Here's an example of a pxelinux configuration using probably overly
> complicated menus:
>
>    https://github.com/freegeek-pdx/netboot-config/tree/master/pxelinux.cfg
>
> In particular, here's a setup for an LTSP configuration not in the
> default directory, forcing the nfsroot to a different value:
>

> https://github.com/freegeek-pdx/netboot-config/blob/master/pxelinux.cfg/diskless-terminal
>
>    label ltsp-wheezy
>    menu label Diskless Terminal
>    kernel /ltsp/i386-wheezy/486-vmlinuz
>    append ro initrd=/ltsp/i386-wheezy/486-initrd.img init=/sbin/init-ltsp
>    quiet root=/dev/nfs ip=dhcp boot=nfs nfsroot=/opt/ltsp/i386-wheezy/
>    ipappend 2
>
> You could easily have one configuration file for ltsp5 and one for
> ltsp42, and only make a symlink in pxelinux.cfg, rather than editing
> dhcpd.conf and restarting dhcp every time you add or remove a client.
>
> Also, with the "default" entry symlinked to whichever you prefer (ltsp42
> or ltsp5), you would only have to add mac address symlinks for the
> non-default ones.
>

> Good luck!
>

> live well,
>    vagrant

Thanks a lot for these aspects, I didn't know this. After having solved
the basic problem with DHCP, I will see how this could help.

In particular, I would like to have a concise LTSP 5 running as if there
was no 4.2 on the system. Currently it is mixed up a bit, LTSP5
acquiring KDM and loading the wrong or no graphics etc. Maybe your
solution could help here. I'll see and test, maybe in January.

Regards
Rolf