I have several Debian 8 LTSP_PNP servers. I tried to make a change in
/etc/ltsp/update-kernels.conf, but discovered it isn't actually sourced by any
other files, so the changes are not propagated when the image or kernels are
updated.

/etc/kernel/postinst.d/ltsp-update-kernels -> /usr/share/ltsp/update-kernels
contains the following text:

     # Relaunch update-kernels with its correct basename so that
     # ltsp-client-functions includes /etc/ltsp/update-kernels.conf.

and

     # Ensure default values for BOOT_METHODS, CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULTS,
CMDLINE_NFS
     # and CMDLINE_NBD. Distros *should* ship an /etc/ltsp/update-kernels.conf
with
     # appropriate values for their distro.

I had to replace the CMDLINE_NBD varible directly in
/usr/share/ltsp/update-kernels to include an appended option.

This was necessary according to an earlier post I made regarding load balancing
multiple LTSP-PNP servers which I have resolved by booting with iPXE using HTTP
urls. I wanted the client to boot from a server using HTTP and continue using
the same server for NBD/applications. I created another server, which also
hosts my ISC-DHCP service, to provide the PHP-generated iPXE scripts/menus, but
no client images. The problem was that I needed
"nbdroot={boot_server_ip_address}:/opt/ltsp/i386" to be appended to the
CMDLINE_NBD variable (based on a hint from
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-2014830.html) or the client would
not boot over HTTP.

Shouldn't changes to update-kernels.conf also be sourced for LTSP_PNP?