Hello Alkis,

Thank you for your reply.

We wrote a little script to delete all the configuration files from
the users when we migrated their files.  All the .something files and
folders were deleted before they logged in.  All that is in their
directories are their documents.  I double-checked and there is no
~/.dmrc file.

I tried to log in as a user and found after the failed log in attempt
there is a newly-created file called .xsession-errors.  Inside that
file is the following:

Xsession: X session started for jbishay at Mon May 15 10:34:32 EST 2017
localuser:jbishay being added to access control list
openConnection: connect: No such file or directory
cannot connect to brltty at :0
/etc/X11/Xsession: 3: [: x: unexpected operator

Searching online for the openConnection shows me some postings about
Nvidia cards and driver errors, but we are using clients with ATI
cards.  I also tried a different thin client and the same issue arose.

What else could it be? A permission's issue? A different UID or GID
between the old and new machines?  To transfer the files over we used
rsync on /home from the old server to the new one.  The new server
actually had an old backup of /home so rsync was a faster way of
updating everyone's files rather than trying to move over 600 GB of
users from scratch.

I appreciate the help!

Joseph