So, not so hypothetically speaking, if you were going to customize a Linux kernel-based OS distro to run on, oh, let's say a 512MB or 1GB USB device of some sort, and wanted to add onto that the libraries and drivers you'd need to run a user-friendly desktop and a basic suite of office applications, how would you go about it?

My first instinct would be knoppix.  For example:
http://rz-obrian.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de/knoppix-usb/

I've contemplated this often while lugging a heavier-than-average
laptop during pedestrian commutes.  Not nearly on my mind as often
now that I don't commute (and usb keys are finally priced right for it).

Andrew Maddox, madsox squiggle radix point net
I will not do anything bad ever again

Tim Newsham
http://www.lava.net/~newsham/