I should also point out that the old "Linux Router Project" has been
superceded by efforts off knoppix and others to create "small" distros
that are fully capable of booting from USB/CF/etc in support of new bios
features like those found in the Mini-ATX/ITX motherboards.

The PODS project (www.pods.hawaii.edu) has been playing with the iTuner
platform and now going to a Mini-ITX motherboard to create embedded
systems with no moving parts. We're also playing the Medallion
(www.techsol.ca) that is a wonderful system, but since it uses toolchain
(lots of utils in a single executable) it does have quite a learning curve
associated with it. (The familier distro is similar but is setup for the
iPaq)

I just donated a whole bunch of the old N!C (new internet computers) that
was a failed effort by Larry Ellison (oracle fame) to create a super cheap
(back in the days of $700 for the cheapest computers) cdrom based system.
At $200/each it was a good effort, but the report from the latest HOSEF
effort to use these for PXE boot on LTSP turned sour. However, a
customized knoppix cdrom should still be examined since it is nominally
designed to boot from cdrom.

/brian chee

University of Hawaii at Manoa
Department of Information and Computer Sciences
Advanced Network Computing Laboratory (ANCL)
1680 East-West Road, Room 311
Honolulu, HI  96822
Voice: 808-956-5797       Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Brian J.S. Chee, CNE/CNI
http://ancl.ics.hawaii.edu