Jim Thompson wrote:
If memory serves, I'd queried why you deemed it important that the number of processes on a "desktop" OS be minimized.
At the outset, you want to minimize the number of processes running on a desktop machine so it will boot faster. Beginning version 10.0, SuSE uses parallel booting as default to reduce boot-up time, but it is still desirable to reduce the number of processes that take up your resources. May not be a problem on your machine, but can be a big problem for others.

OTOH, you also want to minimize the number of ports open. Most of my desktop users are not (nearly) as sophisticated (and security conscious) as you are. Wayne