http://talkback.zdnet.com/5208-11048-0.html? forumID=1&threadID=30518&messageID=567648&start=-1

----
Eric Raymond's boot to Red Hat's head

TalkBack 7 of 11:
Next
Previous
Linspire CEO Kevin Carmony Responds
For those wondering...

1. Eric Raymond doesn't work for Linspire. He is simply one of many un-paid volunteers of the Freespire Leadership Board. ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) Eric has never been paid or received anything from Linspire (he wouldn't take it even if we offered). He got involved because he liked Freespire's work in solving some of the driver and multimedia problems for desktop Linux.

2. No one here at Linspire, myself included, had any idea Eric was going to do this. First we knew about it was when we read about it in the press.

3. If Eric was doing this on our account, he would have announced switching to Linspire or Freespire, not Ubuntu.

4. If Eric were in fact doing this for our benefit, the last thing in the world Linspire would have wanted him to do was him sending his email and upsetting the Fedora community. The Linux companies need to work more together, not less. Linspire has been trying to work MORE with Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE, and others, to solve the problems facing desktop Linux.

Because I didn't know about this earlier, and haven't spoken with Eric since, I can't know his motives. However, I do know Eric fairly well, and he's not one to do much of anything "for someone else" or just for money. He's a pretty principled guy, from what my experience with him has been. I sincerely believe he just became unhappy with some things, hit is boiling point, and got so upset he made the switch and sent the email.

If anyone reading this belongs to the Red Hat Fedora mailing list, I hope you'll forward my comments along to that group. I'll certainly will be sending them to the contacts I have at Red Hat, with whom Linspire has always had a very positive relationship with.

Regardless of what Eric's motives were, I can assure you, they had nothing formally to do with Linspire.

Thanks,

Kevin Carmony
CEO, Linspire