On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 2:18 PM, Liam Proven<lpro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/7/23 Sylkis <syl...@gmail.com>:
>> I'd love to see lubuntu with xbmc or out-of-the-box app package (like just
>> pre-installed rhythmbox and gxine) as a powerful work'n'media (for home
>> office and cheapest HDTV) station that runs with speed of light on platforms
>> like ION or weaker (like just old computers).
>
> That's an interesting suggestion, but it seems to me to be something
> rather different than a lightweight distro for an Internet desktop PC,
> no?
>
>> Personally I live in Poland and as a representative of middle-class I have a
>> good PC (c2d, etc) but even xubuntu was slower that windows xp on my
>> machine.
>
> There must be something wrong with your machine, then. Full Ubuntu is
> very fast - quicker than Windows XP, in my experience - on any
> reasonably well-specified computer. Given a 1GHz+ CPU and 512MB of
> RAM, Ubuntu is quick, let alone Xubuntu.
>
>> that is why i look foward up to test lubuntu, temporaily using just
>> basic ubuntu installation + lxde (unfortunatelly with a lot of gnome
>> garbage)...
>
> That only wastes disk space; it should not significantly slow down your PC.

I disagree with this point, I have loaded ubuntu 9.04 with Gnome then
installed LXDE on top

I have also loaded alt ubuntu 9.04, with CLI only, then apt-get'd LXDE.

I can tell you there is quite  a difference in speed when loading
desktop apps, especially Firefox, with our Gnome pre-loaded firefox
snaps up on my screen, with Gnome it is noticably slower... I think
this is caused by all the extra libs needed for Gnome which are
pre-loaded, and also some of the services that would be running as
well.

Not entirely sure though...

But I do know it is slower... without a doubt.

Glen