I've spotted what appears to be a bug in the installer that can be run
from the Live CD desktop environment if one chooses "Try Lubuntu without
installing" from the main menu. Or the problem could be in the desktop
environment itself. It is such a fringe case, though, that I am not sure
if it is worth pursuing. It is 100% reproducible on this hardware.
The system is one I have scraped together while I am stuck in Italy. I
plan to use it for testing, as I have a more powerful laptop at my
disposal. The system is a home built PC based on a 440BX motherboard,
and it has a French keyboard.
To produce the error:
1. Boot the Lubuntu Lucid Beta 3 Live CD
2. Accept the default language, English, from the boot menu
3. Press F3 and select "France" for the keymap
4. Choose the "Try Lubuntu without installing" from the primary boot menu
5. At the desktop, start the installer
6. On the keyboard selection screen of the installer (step 3) the
installer guesses "France - Alternative"
7. Press the radio button for "Choose your own"
8. Select "France" from the right-hand window list
9. Try typing text in the test field; the keyboard produces no output
10. Open leafpad or LXTerminal; still no output from the keyboard
11. Quit the installer and restart the system from the "Logoff" menu
item; the CD ejects, but the system does not restart.
Later steps in installation will require the keyboard, I assume, so at
this point installation has failed.
Note: if leafpad or LXTerminal is used prior to starting the installer,
then the problem does not occur. Text appears in these apps. Once the
installer is started, text appears in the test field of step 3,
1. Do not use F3 to choose a keymap; or
2. Open leafpad or another text-input app, type something, then start
So, is this important enough for a formal bug report? Should I try the
Ubuntu Lucid Beta to see if the problem occurs there also?
Your comments appreciated,
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
Post to : firstname.lastname@example.org
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-desktop
More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp