On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 17:03:59 +0800, Yorvyk <yorvik.ubu...@googlemail.com> wrote:

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 00:20:54 -0400
Ben Coleman <olo...@benshome.net> wrote:

On 10/14/2010 07:24 PM, Benny Hult wrote:
> But it lacks with packages if you compare to Lubuntu.
> Hope we can see you using Lubuntu still in the future, becouse the grass
> ain't greener on the other side of the fence ;)

Well, turns out that my other Lubuntu candidate (A Compaq Armada 7800
running a PII/266) is i686-class despite being slower than the AMD, so
Lubuntu 10.10 should run OK on it, if I can manage to burn a Lubuntu
CD-R that it will read (the CDROM reader on this machine tends to be a
bit finicky, and it's old enough that I don't think that it will boot
from USB Flash).

It is unfortunate this problem as it mainly effects AMD chips as far as I can gather. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/eglibc/+bug/587186I One solution if you want to run Lubuntu on the 586 machine would be to use the10.04 (Lucid) version, which is what I’ve done on a couple of machines.

If you’re having problems with the CD drive it may be worth looking at http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ which has a couple of ways of booting flash drives, using either a floppy http://www.pendrivelinux.com/use-a-floppy-to-boot-usb-pendrive-linux/#more-294 or CD.

Or use an existing grub2 menu and manually boot up the usb OS. Of course, you can let the OS with the grub2 generate the usb OS menu with update-grub (with the stick attached).

Regards - Goh Lip