Hi Ian,

I think you have it right. And, in fact, your work-around I vaguely recall using probably nearly a year ago, so maybe from MX17 and not 17.1 . And, in fact, I tried it in the past week ot two unsuccessfully, but didn't mention it amongst all the workarounds I did try with like outcomes. I thought it would be less guff to throw at the Lubuntu community whom I would merely trouble to hear if anyone had encountered a similar problem with GIMP 2.8.x.

Now I have a cascade of dichotomies to investigate, along with all the relevant interactions:

    GIMP 2.8.22  vs GIMP 2.8.??   ?

    LO 6.0.3  vs  LO 5.x.y    ?

    MX17  vs  MX17.1     ?

(At least it's the same printer!)

So I'll be pragmatic rather than academic and download MX18beta1 even though I'd rather get past the beta version and see it that cures my problem before deciding to go bughunting.

Fact is, I don't use GIMP often enough to be confident with it. Usually I'm trying to isolate an image from a PDF file, often generated as an Adobe Acrobat pic, and resize it for presentation. Last time I succeeded was with the new letterhead a graphic designer had designed for the charity my wife and I run, to isolate the logo itself and resize it. Yes, I did succeed - then. Now, this lad I'm mentoring drew up visuals for the plays he had strategized for the kids soccer teams he and other young men are coaching locally on behalf of the Sports Academy (??) of Portugal. He did it all on GIMP, then asked me to print it for handouts for the coaches' seminar. Much egg on face because of tiny print sizes, also time budget. Should have taken perhaps 5 minutes, he had about 30 to spare. Which wasn't enough, with the original image refusing even LO Draw's efforts to resize it.

I really don't do much graphics, and I probably do do it in LO (importing, positioning, resizing externally obtained images) . I keep GIMP around for the rare occasion where greater abilities are needed and I can set aside an hour or so to experiment with the techniques needed for GIMP /de jour/. But I find it frustrating that it is so difficult to do the simplest of creative and editing functions in GIMP that I am seriously discouraged from fiddling around with it in spare moments to get used to doing things its way, at least at a very elementary level. Like: <rant>

    Define a point, A

    Use it as the centre of a circle, C1

    Define another point, B

    Connect A and B with a straight line AB

    Connect A and B with a freehand wiggly line A~B

    Drag the circumference of C1 to pass through B, making another circle C2

    Shade the ring-like space between C1 and C2 (the torus? Is it a /torus/? Wow! If not, then too bad, you understand what I mean) and fill it with a selected colour

    Select some portion of this exciting image by framing it with some rectangle whose position and size I can easily define with just the mouse.

    Print selected portion without resizing it

    Resize and reposition by dragging on the printable space. Print it to the corresponding size.

- all within shall we say 8 minutes, without referencing any text manual pages, relying only on the rather intuitive menu-headings and entries (where GIMP currently fails massively in my experience)...

If GIMP could do that - reliably, from version to version - year in and year out, while getting more and more AutoCAD threatening if that's what they want to do - I would play with it and graduate close on 10 children a year from our safe home as happy, intuitive competent-at-an-elementary-level  Linux users, LO users, VLC users, and GIMP (*gimp* maybe?) users. Living proof to the school system that they should permit the use of open systems in the classroom and staff offices as they are by implication obliged to do.

What would it take to write an elementary UI for GIMP, with a much-simplified/reduced menu system and reduced option-set, with possibly an intermediate alternative, allowing eventual progress to raw GIMP which had been hiding behind the friendly screens all along? Select complexity level from initial menu screen? Remember, you don't want to mess with the innards, just the UI? Hopefully?

Ive been writing software for 50 years and hate getting egg on my face because someone else's UI doesn't make sense to simple beings.

</rant>

Cheers

Basil