NHibernate has a much bigger community and more active devs afaict.

The proposed changes as I understand them are not about changing class structure or APIs, but merely touch hunks of code and rewrite them to use better .NET practices (yield, generics, LINQ etc). In conjunction with a move to .NET 4.0 this would increase readability, improve GC and boost performance.

IMO this doesn't have to be a line-by-line port in order to make porting of patches easy - what digy seem to be really worried about (and he's right). As long as the meaning of the code is clear, it shouldn't be a real problem to apply Java patches to the .NET codebase. And as long as the test suite keeps being thorough, there's really nothing to fear of.