From: Christopher Currens [mailto:currens.ch...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 1:08 AM
To: lucene-net-dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: [Lucene.Net] Roadmap

To clarify, it wasn't as much *difficult* as it was more *painful*.  Above,
I was inferring that it was more difficult that the rest of the code, which
by comparison was easier.  It wasn't painless to try and map where code
changes were from the java classes into the .Net version.  I prefer that
style more for its readability and the niceties of working with a .Net
style of Lucene, however as I said before, it slowed down significantly the
porting process.  I hope it didn't come across that I thought that it was
bad code, because it's probably the most readable code we have in the
Contrib at the moment.

I want to make it clear that my intention right now is to get Lucene.Net up
to date with Java.  When I read the Java code, I understand its intent, and
I make sure the ported code represents it.  That takes enough time as it
is, moving to try and figure out where the code went in Lucene.Net, since
it wasn't a 1-1 map, was a MINOR annoyance, especially when you compare it
to the issues I had dealing with the differences between the two languages,
generics especialy.  That being said, I don't have a problem with code
being converted in a .Net idiomatic way, in fact, I welcome it, if it still
allows the changes to be ported with minimal effort.  I feel at this point
in the project, there are some limitations to how far I'd like it to
diverge.

Anyway, my opinion, which may not be in agreement with the group as a
whole, is that it would be better to bring the codebase up to date, or at
least more up to date with java's, and then maintaining a version with a
complete .net-concentric API.  I feel this would beeasier, as porting
Java's Lucene SVN commits by the week would be a relatively small workload.

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 2:41 PM, Troy Howard <thowar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> point Chris just mentioned (which I'm not really sure what part was so
> difficult, as I ported that library in about 30 minutes from
> scratch)... anything is a pain if it sticks out in the middle of doing
> something completely different.
>
> The only reason we are able to do this "line by line" is due to the
> general similarity between Java and C#'s language syntax. If we were
> porting Lucene to a completely different language, that had a totally
> different syntax, the process would go like this:
>
> - Look at the original code, understand it's intent
> - Create similar code in the new language that expresses the same intent
>
> When applying changes:
>
> - Look at the original code diffs, understanding the intent of the change
> - Look at the ported code, and apply the changed logic's meaning in
> that language
>
> So, is just a different thought process. In my opinion, it's a better
> process because it forces the developer to actually think about the
> code instead of blindly converting syntax (possibly slightly
> incorrectly and introducing regressions). While there is a large
> volume of unit tests in Lucene, they are unfortunately not really the
> right tests and make porting much more difficult, because it's hard to
> verify that your ported code behaves the same because you can't just
> rely on the unit tests to verify your port. Therefore, it's safer to
> follow a process that requires the developer to delve deeply into the
> meaning of the code. Following a line-by-line process is convenient,
> but doesn't focus on meaning, which I think is more important.
>
> Thanks,
> Troy
>
> On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 2:23 PM, Christopher Currens
> <currens.ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Digy,
> >
> > No worries.  I wasn't taking them personally.  You've been doing this
> for a
> > lot longer than I have, but I didn't understand you pain until I had to
> go
> > through it personally. :P
> >
> > Have you looked at Contrib in a while?  There's a lot of projects that
> are
> > in Java's Contrib that are not in Lucene.Net?  Is this because there are
> > some that can't easily (if at all) be ported over to .NET or just
because
> > they've been neglected?  I'm trying to get a handle on what's important
> > port and what isn't.  Figured someone with experience could help me with
> > starting point over deciding where to start with everything that's
> missing.
> >

> > Thanks,
> > Christopher
> >
> > On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Digy <digyd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >> Chris,
> >>
> >> Sorry, if you took my comments about "pain of porting" personally. That
> >> wasn't my intension.
> >>
> >> +1 for all your changes/divergences. I made/could have made them too.

Dispose

-----