All:

I spent quite a bit of time researching the demise of Lucene.Net.Distributed
(now Contrib.Distributed), primarily looking at SVN tags and the mailing list.
I gather that it was only ever a reluctant feature, which had few users, went
unmaintained, and thus was quietly dropped during the transition from 2.4.0 ->
2.9.1.

I noticed that much of that code remains in src/contribs, so I attempted to
restore it back to its former state. To make a long story short, I have
reconstructed solution files, project files, tests, etc. and have migrated them
all forward to use 3.0.3 trunk. It now builds and (nominally) runs. It does not
pass the tests since the Soap formatter does not support generics.

I did not make any modifications beyond those needed for reconstruction and
migration. I am considering migrating this to ServiceStack, or WCF, if there is
interest. However, some may be interested in playing with it as-is. I'd be
happy to submit a patch against trunk, but I'm not sure of the protocol for
that (e.g. send it to dev list, private email). The patch currently weighs in
at 344 KB zipped/~3 MB unzipped.

Best Regards,
Zack