Tom Howe wrote:

Right, but my concern is that each of these levels are really different documents.

That's how I understood it. Just add a keyword for each level.

If you want to use just one field, then you can also think of your structure as a tree like this:

     doc1     ---- Level 1
     /  \
   doc2  doc3 ---- Level 2

   doc4       ---- Level 4

   doc5       ---- Level 8

This way, if your user says he wants to search in Level 6, you know that he really wants to search in levels 2 and 4, because that is the only way that you can get 6 (2+4). This enables you to work with just one field, because every document only needs to add its level to the index.

If you don't need this flexibility and always want to search from the current level on down, then it is even easier. You then modify your query to search, where docLevel >= currentLevel.

In any event, all your indexer has to do is add each document's level to the index.

Ulrich