Stephane James Vaucher wrote:
As I've stated in my earlier mail, I like this change. More importantly, could this become a "standard" way of changing configurations at runtime? For example, the default merge factor could also be set in this manner.

Sure, that's reasonable, so this would be something like:

private static final int DEFAULT_MERGE_FACTOR =

Integer.parseInt(System.getProperty("org.apache.lucene.mergeFactor","10"));

In IndexWriter.java.

What other candidates are there for this treatment?

Doug