On May 11, 2004, at 9:58 AM, Ryan Sonnek wrote:
When performing a search with lucene, is it possible to only return a subset of the results? I need to be able to page through results, and it seems much more efficient if I can tell the searcher, "only return results 50 - 100", rather than performing the full search.

Lucene's Hits collection handles this automatically for you. But, sure, the lower-level API allows you to do this sort of thing if you really need to. But, again, Hits handles this pretty efficiently for you already.

Have you experienced some performance issues? Do you have some numbers and code that you could share that point to some kind of inefficiency?