Erik Hatcher wrote:

On Apr 27, 2004, at 2:09 PM, Robert Koberg wrote:

Otis Gospodnetic wrote:

Because having small time units like milliseconds will result in Range
query expanding to a large number of BooleanQueries, if you have a lot
of documents with unique time stamps.  Rounding the timestamp to
minutes, hours, or days, can drastically reduce the number of unique
time stamps, hence resulting in less BooleanQueries.

Cool, thanks. So DateField.dateToString is the best, most efficient way, correct?

It all depends. But if all you care about is year, month, day, it is _not_ the most efficient. DateField converts down to milliseconds, and is what Otis was referring to.

Oops, I meant to write DateField.timeToString which I use when querying. If I use DateField.dateToString when indexing but timeToString when searching is that a bad practice? I do only need month, day and year. So should I be indexing with timeToString?

How would you do it if the above is still a bad practice?

Sorry for the basic questions...

best,
-Rob