No sorry i didnt mean that i was trying to extract the jars at all.

I meant the extraction of the original lucene source bundle. I have been developing in
java for going on 5 years now, but am relatively new to Web Apps. I have some
experience in TomCat from days as an undergrad and do understand that perhaps the
questions i'm asking wernt exactly tech questions relating to Lucene, but rather
Tomcat related enquiries. I think the reason i was struggling was that i havn't been
able to locate the lucene war files as they dont seem to have come as part of the
latest source drops.

Thx for the advice and hopefully you can help me out when i'm further into the
development process.

Ian

--- Erik Hatcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
There is no need to extract Lucene's JAR file.

Your questions indicate that you have some Tomcat and Java web
application learning to do and this forum is not the most appropriate
place to ask.  Lucene includes a web application demo that you could
try deploying by following the steps here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/demo3.html

Just drop luceneweb.jar into CATALINA_HOME/webapps, restart Tomcat and
try hitting http://localhost:8080/luceneweb and pressing the search
button - you will get an error unless you've followed all the steps,
but you should not get a class cast exception and Lucene will be
working properly (now follow the steps to build an index and configure
the pointer to it).

        Erik