On Oct 13, 2004, at 5:40 PM, Chris Fraschetti wrote:
and finally if i do....

SortField score_sort = ScoreField.FIELD_SCORE;
SortField rank_sort = new SortField(RANK_FIELD, true);
SortField[] sort_fields = {score_sort, rank_sort};
Sort sort = new Sort(sort_fields);
hits = searcher.search(query, sort);

I get the same results as I did with the score_sort only... no change
in the ordering of the rank is there... any ideas? It looks to me as
if it's completely ignoring it.

This is sorting first by score and then by your rank field. The rank field sort only applies when the scores are the same. I suspect you're getting different scores so you'd never see rank come into play.

Display the score and rank in your results to see for sure.