I recently started to work on a project which needed to parse many
documents, including pdfs, very quickly and on a large scale. PDF Box
seems to look like the best choice except for it's obvious speed
issue. Eventually I took the time to go into the pdf box source and
rip out the individual string tokens. In doing so I lose the quality
of some docs, kerning isn't there, special chars arn't avail, but you
can even improve on that yourself a bit with a little more research.
But parsing some pdf documents scaled down from 60 seconds to strip
the raw text, to 5 seconds.... an exchange I gladly make for the speed
improvement.

It's open source, with any IDE, you should be able to trace the
function calls to find where to rip out the data you need.

-Chris Fraschetti