Hi All;

I think I have resovled my locking issues, at least in my development
environment (QA is next). I did the following:

1. Synchronized all the methods in my class (not sure if this was really
necessary).
2. When ever I created a writer or use the reader to delete I checked if the
index is locked. If it is I sleep for one minute before checking again. If
still locked I use IndexReader.unlock() to remove the lock.

Honestly, other than studying for the Sun Programmers Exam, I have never
worked with threads. Does the above sound reasonable? Should I sleep longer?
I have pasted my code below for anyone that is interested.

Thanks,

Luke

/*
 * Created on Nov 11, 2004
 *
 * This class will create a single index file for the HyperMedia content
 * management system.  It is capable of incremental updates as well
 * creating a new index
*/
package model;

import java.io.File;
import java.io.IOException;
import java.util.Arrays;
import java.util.Date;

import org.apache.lucene.index.Term;
import org.apache.lucene.index.TermEnum;
import org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory;
import org.pdfbox.searchengine.lucene.LucenePDFDocument;

/**
 * @author lshannon Description: <br>
 *         This class is used to index a content folder. It contains logic
 *         ensure only new or documents that have been modified since the
last
 *         search are indexed. <br>
 *         Based on code writen by Doug Cutting in the IndexHTML class found
in
 *         the Lucene demo
 */
public class Indexer {
 //true during deletion pass, this is when the index already exists
 private static boolean deleting = false;

 //object to read existing indexes
 private static IndexReader reader;

 //object to write to the index folder
 private static IndexWriter writer;

 //this will be used to write the index file
 private static TermEnum uidIter;

 //the location of the index folder
 static File index;

 /*
  * The default constructor does all the work of the indexing
  */
 public synchronized static void Index() {
  //we will assume to start the index has been created
  boolean create = true;
  //set the name of the index file
  String indexFileLocation = "D:/work/WEB-INF/index";
  index = new File(indexFileLocation);
  //set the name of the content folder
  String contentFolderLocation = "D:/GM";
  File root = new File(contentFolderLocation);
  //the index file indicated exists, we need an incremental update of the
  if (index.exists()) {
   System.out
     .println("INDEXING INFO: An index folder exists in the location
supplied. Starting incremental update.");
   deleting = true;
   create = false;
   try {
    //this version of index docs is able to execute the incremental
    // update
    indexDocs(root, indexFileLocation, create);
   } catch (Exception e) {
    //we were unable to do the incremental update
    System.out
      .println("INDEXING ERROR: Unable to execute incremental update "
        + e.getMessage());
   }
   //after exiting this loop the index should be current with content
   System.out.println("INDEXING INFO: Incremental update completed.");
  }
  try {
   //create the writer
   System.out
     .println("Attempting to create Writer. The index is locked: "
       + IndexReader.isLocked(indexFileLocation));
   if (IndexReader.isLocked(indexFileLocation)) {
    try {
     System.out
       .println("Waiting 1 minutes for the reader to release the lock on the
     Thread.sleep(60000L);
     //if we are still locked we need to do something about it
     if (IndexReader.isLocked(indexFileLocation)) {
      System.out
        .println("Index Locked After 1 minute of waiting. Forcefully
releasing lock.");
      IndexReader.unlock(FSDirectory.getDirectory(index,
        false));
      System.out.println("Index lock released");
     }

    } catch (InterruptedException e2) {
     System.out
       .println("INDEX ERROR: There was a problem waiting for the lock to
release. "
         + e2.getMessage());
    }
   }
   System.out.println("Creating a new writer.");
   writer = new IndexWriter(index, new StandardAnalyzer(), create);
   //configure the writer
   writer.mergeFactor = 10000;
   writer.maxFieldLength = 100000;
   try {
    //get the start date
    Date start = new Date();
    //call the indexDocs method, this time we will add new
    // documents
    System.out
      .println("INDEXING INFO: Start Indexing new content.");
    indexDocs(root, indexFileLocation, create);
    System.out
      .println("INDEXING INFO: Indexing new content complete.");
    //optimize the index
    writer.optimize();
    //close the writer
    writer.close();
    //get the end date
    Date end = new Date();
    long totalTime = end.getTime() - start.getTime();
    System.out
      .println("INDEXING INFO: All Indexing Operations Completed in "
        + totalTime + " milliseconds");
   } catch (Exception e1) {
    //unable to add new documents
    System.out
      .println("INDEXING ERROR: Unable to index new content "
        + e1.getMessage());
   }
  } catch (IOException e) {
   System.out.println("INDEXING ERROR: Unable to create IndexWriter "
     + e.getMessage());
  }
 }

 /*
  * Walk directory hierarchy in uid order, while keeping uid iterator from
/*
  * existing index in sync. Mismatches indicate one of: (a) old documents to
/*
  * be deleted; (b) unchanged documents, to be left alone; or (c) new /*
  * documents, to be indexed.
  */

 private static synchronized void indexDocs(File file, String _index,
   boolean create) throws Exception {
  //the index already exists we do an incremental update
  if (!create) {
   System.out
     .println("INDEXING INFO: Incremental Update Request Confirmed");
   //open existing index
   reader = IndexReader.open(_index);
   //this gets an enummeration of uid terms
   uidIter = reader.terms(new Term("uid", ""));
   //jump to the index method that does the work
   //this will use the Iteration above and does
   //all the "smart" indexing
   indexDocs(file);
   //this will be true everytime the index already existed
   //we are not going to delete documents that are old
   if (deleting) {
    System.out
      .println("INDEXING INFO: Deleting Old Content Phase Started. All
Deleted Docs will be listed.");
    while (uidIter.term() != null
      && uidIter.term().field() == "uid") {
     //basically we are deleting all the document we have
     // indexed before
     System.out.println("INDEXING INFO: Deleting document "
       + HTMLDocument.uid2url(uidIter.term().text()));
     //delete the term from the reader
     System.out
       .println("The reader is attempting to deleting from the index.
indexDocs(3 arg)");
     if (IndexReader.isLocked(index.getPath())) {
      try {
       System.out
         .println("Waiting 1 minute for the reader to release the lock on
the index.");
       Thread.sleep(60000L);
       //if we are still locked we need to do something
       // about it
       if (IndexReader.isLocked(index.getPath())) {
        System.out
          .println("Index Locked After 1 minute of waiting. Forcefully
releasing lock.");
        IndexReader.unlock(FSDirectory.getDirectory(
          index, false));
        System.out.println("Index lock released");
       }

      } catch (InterruptedException e2) {
       System.out
         .println("INDEX ERROR: There was a problem waiting for the lock to
release. "
           + e2.getMessage());
      }
     }
     System.out.println("Index is now deleting");
     reader.delete(uidIter.term());
     //go to the nextfield
     uidIter.next();
    }
    System.out
      .println("INDEXING INFO: Deleting Old Content Phase Completed");
    //turn off the deleting flag
    deleting = false;
   }//close the deleting branch
   //close the enummeration
   uidIter.close(); // close uid iterator
   //close the reader
   reader.close(); // close existing index
  }
  //we go here is the index already existed
  else {
   System.out
     .println("INDEXING INFO: Index Folder Did Not Exist. Start Creation Of
New Index");
   // don't have exisiting
   indexDocs(file);
  }
 }

 private synchronized static void indexDocs(File file) throws Exception {
  //check if we are at the top of a directory
  if (file.isDirectory()) {
   //get a list of the files
   String[] files = file.list();
   //sort them
   Arrays.sort(files);
   //index each file in the directory recursively
   //we keep repeating this logic until we hit a
   //file
   for (int i = 0; i < files.length; i++)
    //pass in the parent directory and the current file
    //into the file constructor and index
    indexDocs(new File(file, files[i]));

  }
  //we have an actual file, so we need to consider the
  //file extensions so the correct Document is created
  else if (file.getPath().endsWith(".html")
    || file.getPath().endsWith(".htm")
    || file.getPath().endsWith(".txt")
    || file.getPath().endsWith(".doc")
    || file.getPath().endsWith(".xml")
    || file.getPath().endsWith(".pdf")) {
   System.out
     .println("INDEX INFO: Examining document: " + file.getAbsolutePath());

   //if this is reached it means we were in the midst
   //of an incremental update
   if (uidIter != null) {
    //get the uid for the document we are on
    String uid = HTMLDocument.uid(file);
    //now compare this document to the one we have in the
    //enummeration of terms.
    //if the term in the enummeration is less than the
    //term we are on it must be deleted (if we are indeed
    //doing an incrementatal update)
    System.out
      .println("INDEXING INFO: Incremental update comparisions: "
        + file.getName());
    while (uidIter.term() != null
      && uidIter.term().field() == "uid"
      && uidIter.term().text().compareTo(uid) < 0) {
     //delete stale docs
     if (deleting) {
      System.out
        .println("The reader is attempting to deleting from the index.
indexDocs(1 arg)");
      //look out for reader/writer conflicts
      if (IndexReader.isLocked(index.getPath())) {
       try {
        System.out
          .println("Waiting 1 minute for the reader to release the lock on
the index.");
        Thread.sleep(60000L);
        //if we are still locked we need to do
        // something about it
        if (IndexReader.isLocked(index.getPath())) {
         System.out
           .println("Index Locked After 1 minute waiting. Forcefully
releasing lock.");
         IndexReader.unlock(FSDirectory
           .getDirectory(index, false));
         System.out.println("Index lock released");
        }

       } catch (InterruptedException e2) {
        System.out
          .println("INDEX ERROR: There was a problem waiting for the lock to
release. "
            + e2.getMessage());
       }
      }
      System.out
        .println("INDEX INFO: Data has been deleted from the index.");
      reader.delete(uidIter.term());
     }
     uidIter.next();
    }
    //if the terms are equal there is no change with this document
    //we keep it as is
    if (uidIter.term() != null && uidIter.term().field() == "uid"
      && uidIter.term().text().compareTo(uid) == 0) {
     uidIter.next();
    }
    //if we are not deleting and the document was not there
    //it means we didn't have this document on the last index
    //and we should add it
    else if (!deleting) {
     System.out
       .println("INDEXING INFO: Adding a new Document to the existing index:
"
         + file.getPath());
     //pdf files
     if (file.getPath().endsWith(".pdf")) {
      try {
       Document doc = LucenePDFDocument.getDocument(file);
       writer.addDocument(doc);
      } catch (Exception e) {
       System.out
         .println("INDEXING ERROR: Unable to index pdf document: "
           + file.getPath()
           + " "
           + e.getMessage());
      }
     }
     //xml documents
     else if (file.getPath().endsWith(".xml")) {
      try {
       Document doc = XMLDocument.Document(file);
       writer.addDocument(doc);
      } catch (Exception e) {
       System.out
         .println("INDEXING ERROR: Was unable to index XML document: "
           + file.getPath()
           + " "
           + e.getMessage());
      }
     }
     //html and txt documents
     else {
      try {
       Document doc = HTMLDocument.Document(file);
       writer.addDocument(doc);
      } catch (Exception e) {
       System.out
         .println("INDEXING ERROR: Was unable to index HTML/TXT file: "
           + file.getPath()
           + " "
           + e.getMessage());
      }
     }
    }
   }//end the if for an incremental update
   //we are creating a new index, add all document types
   else {
    System.out
      .println("INDEXING INFO: Adding a new Document to a new index: "
        + file.getPath());
    //pdf documents
[...]
    }//close the else
   }//close the else for a new index
  }//close the else if to handle file types
 }//close the indexDocs method

 /*
  * Close any open objects.
  */
 protected void finalize() throws Throwable {
  if (reader != null) {
   reader.close();
  }
  if (writer != null) {