I am new to Lucene, but have a large project in production on the web using
other apache software including Tomcat, Struts, OJB, and others.

The database I need to support will hopefully grow to millions of records.
Right now it only has thousands but it is growing.   These documents get
updated by users regularly, but not frequently.   When you have 100k users
though, infrequently means you still have to deal with lock types of issues.

When they update their record, their search criteria will have to be updated
and they will expect to see results somewhat immediately.

In moving from exact matching which is very poor for searches to Lucene, this
locking is the only thing that has me nervous.   I would really like a well
thought out scheme for incremental changes as I won't "generally" need batch
unless I have to delete/recreate the database for some reason.

Thinking about most online forums, I think incremental is the way they would
like to be able to go for searching.

I have lots to learn about this project, but I really like what I see besides
that locking issue.   If I get into this more and understand details maybe I
will have something to offer later.   Lots to learn first though.

Thank you for your hard work,

JohnE

I am curious, though, how many people on this list are using Lucene in
the incremental update case. Most examples I've seen all assume batch
indexing.

Regards,

Luke Francl