It really seems like I am not the only person having this issue.

So far I am seeing 2 solutions and honestly I don't love either totally.  I am
thinking that without changes to Lucene itself, the best "general" way to
implement this might be to have a queue of changes and have Lucene work off
this queue in a single thread using a time-settable batch method.   This is
similar to what you are using below, but I don't like that you forcibly unlock
Lucene if it shows itself locked.   Using the Queue approach, only that one
thread could be accessing Lucene for writes/deletes anyway so there should be
no "unknown" locking.

I can imagine this being a very good addition to Lucene - creating a high level
interface to Lucene that manages incremental updates in such a manner.  If
anybody has such a general piece of code, please post it!!!   I would use it
tonight rather then create my own.

I am not sure if there is anything that can be done to Lucene itself to help
with this need people seem to be having.  I realize the likely reasons why
Lucene might need to only have one Index writer and the additional load that
might be caused by locking off pieces of the database rather then the whole
database.  I think I need to look in the developer archives.

JohnE