I am interested in pursuing experienced peoples' understanding as I have half
the queue approach developed already.

I am not following why you don't like the queue approach Sergiu.  From what I
gathered from this board, if you do lots of updates, the opening of the
WriterIndex is very intensive and should be used in a batch orientation rather
then on a one-at-a-time incremental approach.  In some cases on this board they
talk about it being so overwhelming that people are putting forced delays so
the Java engine can catch up.  Using a queueing approach, you may get a hit
every 30 seconds or minute or...whatever you choose as your timeframe, but it
should be enough of a delay to allow the java engine to not be overwhelmed.  I
would like this not to happen with Lucene and would like to be able to update
every time an update occurs, but this does not seem the right approach right
now.  As I said before, this seems like a wish item for Lucene.  I don't really
know if the wish is feasible.

So far the biggest problem I was facing with this approach, however, was having
feedback from the archiving process to the main database that the archiving
change actually has happened and correctly even if the server goes down.

JohnE