There should actually not be any difference between the patches between a late 1.4.X and 1.6 -- we're trying to keep the kernel patches in sync. So it's likely that you can just use a 1.4.x-patched kernel you already have working, and build 1.6 against it.

Makia Minich wrote:
So, I've been charged with testing 1.6 (well, 1.5.97) with the Cray XT3, but I seem to be running into a problem. Utilizing lustre 1.4.7 based patches, I can successfully build and run my own kernel outside of the official Cray build process (if this seems like a trivial sentence, you don't have the pleasure of using an XT3). The problem is when I go back and utilize the lustre 1.5.97 patch set and build a kernel. It boots just fine, but the ethernet devices (e1000 based) do not behave (for instance, I can ping the node just fine, and it can mount NFS mounts just fine, but if I attempt to access those NFS mounts the process will hang indefinitely).

So, with this, I'm about to start the journey of looking through the 1.5.97 patches to see what might be giving me grief, but I was hoping that someone smarter than I might have some insight on some things to try.

Thanks...