On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 1:54 PM, Mohr Jr, Richard Frank (Rick Mohr)
<rm...@utk.edu> wrote:

>> On Oct 13, 2016, at 12:32 PM, E.S. Rosenberg <esr+lus...@mail.hebrew.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>> I thought ZFS was only recommended for OSTs and not for MDTs/MGS?
>
> ZFS usually has lower metadata performance for MDT than using ldiskfs which
> is why some people recommend ZFS only for the OSTs.  However, ZFS has
> features (like snapshots) that are useful for the MDT so some folks are
> willing to accept a performance hit in order to take advantage of those
> features.

does anyone have an actual figures on how much lower the performance
is?  like 10%, 20%, 30%  the performance gap was probably mentioned
somewhere else, but i missed it

our next internal lustre build is going to use zfs for both mdt and
ost, but the driver is a patchless kernel not so much performance.
but if there's a tremendous performance gap, i'd like to be aware of
that