Dear Everyone,

I don't like to lower the tone, but, purely in the interest of
scholarship, I believe there may be more than one meaning suggested
by Dowland's pedlar. "Knackers", is a word not far removed in
pronunciation from "knacks", and one of its meanings is a pair of
spherical objects normally associated with the male. Is this the
"heavenly pair"? I wonder. If my hypothesis is correct, "a fair" may
be heard as "affair", and so on.

Having an extra layer or two of meaning in poems c. 1600 was
commonplace, and the fun for the listener arises from the double
entendre extending through the poem. I believe it is more a question
of wit than crudeness for crudeness' sake. A second meaning doesn't
have to be rude.

It reminds me of that wonderful drinking song (sung as a round),
which I believe might be by William Lawes:

"Wars are our delight,
We drink as we fight,
Tarara ra ra,
Rubadub dub dub,
Bounce! [at which point you bang your tankard on the table, take a
swift quaff of ale trying not to spill any, and carry on singing]
Hark to the trumpet sound!"

On paper it looks like an innocent enough soldier's song, but when
performed, you might hear "whores" instead of "wars". It would be
easy enough to turn "trumpet" into "strumpet". It wouldn't be the
first time that the image of a battle was used to represent amorous
activity.

I confess to being shocked the first time I ever heard Purcell's ode
for Queen Mary, "Come, come ye sons of art." I didn't know the words
then, and I certainly didn't hear "of art". Would Purcell have dared
to do something like that? Bearing in mind his catches, I believe he
might well have done.

Of course, I may be completely wrong. Who is to say? It is hard to
prove these things beyond all reasonable doubt, and one simply has
to make up one's own mind about it.

Best wishes,

Stewart McCoy.