> http://www.snopes.com/language/literary/rosie.htm
>
> Urban Legend.
>

> Garry

Or bad research, but none can be sure of any folk belief as to whether it is
legend or has a basis in fact. Not everything was written down. How many
childhood games did you play with seemingly meaningless words that weren't
written anywhere? Derivations are difficult to prove, or disprove. We must
assume that the childhood game (and associated song) London Bridge is
falling down must be after the building of London Bridge, and before we
learned it. There is a thing called "Murphy's Law", and the wisdom
attributes it to a U.S. Air Force officer named Murphy in about 1948. But I
first heard of Murphy's Law in about 1944 when reading "Air Age Comics"
during the war. The statement of the Law then was "if you design a part so
someone can install it wrong, then someone will". And the credited Murphy in
the standard etymology wasn't in the Air Force yet (in fact, the U.S. had no
Air Force then, it was the Army Air Force or the Naval air service).

So we can't know the details of derivation without a consistant chain of
evidence - meaning we just guess.

Best, Jon