Stefan,

Phuu... I finally managed to get through the last 2 week's 600 lute mails in
the inbox. What a prolific gang. And the pathos! But what happened to common
decensy?

To answer your question partly, here is what I had to sign before being
issued a microfilm, when ordering a little known print from a German library
recently:

Verpflichtungserklärung

Der/die Unterzeichnete erklärt, in seinen/ihren Veröffentlichungen über
(shelf number of the work) die Bibliothek in dieser Formulierung zu
zitieren: (name of library).

Er/sie verpflichtet sich,

choice 1, checked:

(x) die überlassenen Reproduktionen nur zu seinem/ihrem persönlichen
Gebrauch zu verwenden, diese oder Kopien davon nicht weiterzugeben, für
Editionen und bildliche Wiedergaben die Genehmigung der Musikabteilung
einzuholen und für kommerzielle Verwendung Nutzungshonorare nach den
Geschäftsbedingungen des (name of library) zu zahlen.

choice 2, unchecked:
( ) die überlassenen Reproduktionen nur in dem unten angegebenen
Publikationsvorhaben, nur für diese Auflage und Ausgabe zu verwenden, von
dem veröffentlichten Werk zwei Belegeexemplare der Bibliothek kostenlos
zuzusenden und bei leihweiser Überlassung die Reproduktionen nach Gebrauch
umgehend wieder an die Bibliothek zurückzuschicken. Das Nutzungshonorar wird
vom (name of library) in Rechnung gestellt. Der/die Unterzeichnete erkennt
die Geschäftsbedingungen dieser Institution an.

Der/die Unterzeichnete erklärt, einschlägige Urheber-, Leistungsschutz- und
Persönlichkeitsrechte beachtet zu haben.

Arbritsvorhaben/Publikationsvorhaben:

Datum:                                    Name/Firma:
Unterschrift:                            Adresse:

I don't know if you understand German, but unquestionably, the library has
restricted my use of the source in their possession.

There are however 2 choices. Were I to make a publication, (as I understand
it, involving copying the image of the print, but perhaps also involving an
edition), choice 2 would be applied, (with supposedly a higher charge).

As I stated that my purpouses were for personal use, their yet
unedited/unpublished 15th century print was issued to me for a very decent
charge.

Of course, I've typeset the book and converted it to TAB. I have thereby
extracted the PD music therein contained and saved it in a different format.
I've also corrected obvious mistakes.

What I'm hypothetically uncertain about (and I gather, this is partly what
you're asking with this thread) is:

Should I wish to give away my digital version of the music that I've typeset
to someone, or even post it on the net, has the library restricted me from
doing so by my signing the agreement? I've got the impression (Howard) that
this would constitute no breach of copyright whatsoever in the US. (The
libraries there probably don't even get through the rigmarole of signing an
agreement, but let's face it, most of the interesting and yet unpublished
lute manuscripts are in Europe). I'm uncertain about if it would constitute
a breach in Europe. (Any European lawyers around?) Ethics is of course a
different matter, also the question of preservation of this music.

This thread cannot possibly interest many of this list's netters, I
apologise for that. But for the few who are, I'm quite eager to sort this
out. In this country we have a saying: "It's easier to get forgiveness than
permission". I suppose, that is why this is not really an issue. Many do it,
and get away with it, 'cause there has never been a case brought to court or
any precedents established. Noone seems to care about this peripheral issue
anyway.

Sincerely hoping that my mail will not lead to another war between the
usually extremely eager and knowledgeable combatants who have a somewhat
nasty proclivity for jamming this space of cyber with personal vendettas.
(Certainly not trying to fan any embers!) In any case, civility seems to be
rather secondary for some of us....

As to your your main question:

|My last and most important question: did anybody every question wether
| such restrictions might be illegal in case of public libraries? For
| instance, can a University really decide to give the right to publish
| one of their sources exclusively to one person?

Stefan, the libraries don't do that. They let anyone publish their material.
It's just a question of paying them what they ask, for you to be allowed to
do so. Different libraries have different policies. Some are greedy, (25£
per page is ridiculous), some are very liberal. It's a lottery really,
depending of who you talk to. I've never approached libraries with
publishing intentions, and have no ambitions or experience there, but have
always (except in one recent case, see below), received kind and helpful
assistance from virtually all of them.

Best Regards

Göran

PS. I approached a mayor French library, (the holders of Vm. Rés 429). They
quoted such an exorbitant charge (about 150$) for issuing a microfilm, that
it was completely futile for me to try to access the manuscript for personal
use. So, perhaps I'm the first victim of gratuitious net publishing?