Dear Albert,

You're quite right, of course, and his name appears on folio 3r,
again as Luys Milan.

However, I think you should have said, "(Advantage of an original
edition!!)", because on the modern title page of my Minkoff
facsimile edition they have gone and put "Luis Milan". :-)

I notice that H. M. Brown spells it Luis, with an acute accent on
the i, in _Instrumental Music Printed Before 1600_, (Cambridge,
Mass.: Harvard University Press, 1965). I have looked at my CD
collection, and see one by Catherine King and Jacob Heringman. They
spell it Luis Milan too. It seems we can't get away from Luis.

As you know, spelling was not consistent in the 16th century: i/y,
i/j, u/v are are often interchangeable. William Byrd's name appears
as Byrd and Bird, not to mention Byrde and Birde, but Byrd is now
taken as the modern convention.

It's just as well you can't hear my voice, because I often make the
mistake of pronouncing Luis like the French name Louis, i.e. not
pronouncing the "s". I think Luis should be pronounced "Loo-eece",
but I sometimes forget.

Unless Milan's name appears elsewhere as Luis (ideally a signature
in a manuscript), perhaps we should start spelling his name Luys, as
you suggest. After all, Reierman and McCoi would look a bit odd,
wouldn't they. :-)

Best wishes,

Stewart McCoy.