All,

Back about 25 years ago, I saw a rather extensive catalog of stringed instrument kits.
 Among the viols and other things there were a couple of lute kits.  I believe one of
the options for the more expensive lute was a rather unique nut.  It consisted of
several tiny rollers shaped like pulley sheaves, all set on what must have been a
really rigid axle of some sort, or one supported between each course.  I believe there
was one roller per string.  The rollers looked to be no larger than about 3mm in
diameter and about 1 to 1.5mm thick.  The idea was the roller formed the nut and the
string passed over the roller on its way to the tuning peg.  Any friction and binding
at the nut one experiences with plain strings, as well as the jumping from one winding
to the next with wound strings, was eliminated.  Up close, it would certainly have had
an unconventional apperance, but from 20 - 30 feet away, nobody in the audience would
likely have spotted it.

No, I no longer have any idea who put out the catalog or the kits.  I can't even begin
to imagine making the little rollers by hand!

Cheers,
Steve