Sorry, I'm sending this again, without all the =20 symbols....I fixed that
in my "options"

Hi, I have an OLD, OLD 10 course built by Larry Brown back in like 1981.
The face is split (somewhat).

I will get it fixed by Larry, eventually.  I will have to send it off to
him.

I got it second hand for about $1100.

This was my first lute and up until the time of the fracture, I practiced a
bit.

Now I want a new one.  I was looking at the MID-EAST Lutes for $600.  I know
that they had a horrible reputation for being clunky, heavy and unplayable,
but I assume that is from players with $8000 lutes?

I can't afford a lute that expensive...ever.  I CAN afford the Mid-East
Lute.

Does anyone have a newer built version, and what is your take on the sound?
A couple years ago when I first saw them, people said it was like
weightlifting.  These lutes were heavy and they really didn't play well.  I
am sure design changes have happened.

If you've recently bought one and are having a fine time with it, let me
know.  If you haven't bought one, and only are going by what others may have
said, please don't reply.

I am looking for something to just practice on...that's all.  I'm not
Hopkinson Smith.  Don't plan on sounding like Hopkinson Smith.  Cool?

Also, I live in Saint Louis, Missouri.  There was one lute teacher ages ago.
Don't know where he went.  Haven't seen him or his classical guitar shop.
Is there actually a lute teacher here in Saint Louis?

Thanks,

Michael