Herbert and Ben (and any others),

By now you all know I have a flat-back from Musikits, and am not challenged
as to woodworking. I am thinking of getting the 8 course kit from RWC
(England, but moving to Toledo, Spain) at about $800 US. I would be
comfortable working from scratch if it weren't for making the mold and
setting the strips to make the body (I have Lundgren's book - but I think I
have to see it first).

So my question on the Paki lutes is this. How is the body quality? I can
redo the soundboard (assuming they use a heat sensitive hide glue, or
similar). I can make my own neck and fingerboard and peg block (and pegs) -
and if need be a new soundboard and bridge.

So, like Michael, I am looking for my next lute (although I envy him his
Larry Brown, microscopic crack and all).

While we are on the topic, Michael asked about a cheap lute he could bang
on. All of you know by now about my Jerry Brown flat-back. But now I know
more about it. Jerry is an excellent maker of harps and harp kits, and a
fine guitarist (and also those instruments). But he didn't do enough
research into the lute before designing his flat-back lute. (Yes, RT, as
original it wasn't a true lute - even in play). The neck is too long for a G
tuning (I use fishing line for the chanterelle). But the string spacing and
sound are quite acceptible for learning (Ronn MacFarlane played mine for ten
minutes and enjoyed it). But it took me two months (with the help of people
on this list) to properly tune the fret heights and nut and bridge heights
to get the typical lute action.

I spent some time with Jerry this past weekend at the Somerset Harp Festival
on the redesign of his flat-back, but until he does redesign it I recommend
against it. He charges US$795 for the finished instrument, and US$350 for
the kit. The finished instrument from the factory isn't a lute, but a good
man with wood can make the kit into one. At $800 it would be a good student
lute, if it were a lute. Mine is, but only because of my modifications. If
he follows up on the modifications then it will be a good alternative to the
real thing for beginners.

So to come back the full circle. Are the Paki lutes "of sound body" (pun
intended)? Or does anyone on the list have a broken lute with a good body? I
am enjoying this instrument so much that I want to go further.

Best, Jon